Hackaday.com is one of my “Daily Reads”. They cover a multitude of topics, ranging from beginners guides to soldering, hardware hacking, and also security topics like RFID spoofing, etc. They posted an article today about QR codes and how the technology has built in error correction. This means some codes can have up to 30% of their data modified and the code will still essentially work. This is AWESOME since from a design aspect, QR codes look like total shit. At first it was pretty cool when you saw a code somewhere since not many companies used them. Now, you’ve seen enough QR codes to pretty much phase them out, just like with advertising. What designers have started doing is use this error correction to their advantage in order to make their designs stand out. Of course, the cooler/more unique the better. From my perspective when I see a super attractive QR code, my instinct isn’t to scan it because I want to learn about the company, I scan it because I’m so curious if it’ll actually scan! Based on their article I toyed around with using my logo in a QR code. I pretty much slapped the logo onto the code and placed it while I had a QR reading app running on my phone. Obviously you’ll want to test your design on more than one device since differences in camera hardware specs can make or break the readability of the code. Here’s a quick mock up of my QR code with my logo implanted. I plan to screw around with it more to see how raw and unruly I can get it without sacrificing the scan-ability . Check the links after the break for some super sexy, well designed, QR codes.
Looking for Something?
This One Time, In:
- Market St Sbux is too busy to be personable... Smh @starbucks. I miss you ladies! http://t.co/7ycVGRBNHb 06:41:20 AM June 11, 2013 from Instagram
- Gavin takes a tumble...: http://t.co/javSJbGmfM via @YouTube 10:04:26 PM June 10, 2013 from Google
- Mama's home!: http://t.co/ndg3sESqSv via @YouTube 09:55:35 PM June 10, 2013 from Google
- Balls to the face: http://t.co/GFIrO8bzOg via @YouTube 09:34:18 PM June 10, 2013 from Google
- Gonna take a while to get used to this! @sfwater #sfwater #sfpuc #leed #building @ San Francisco… http://t.co/tta8M7f7Hf 12:23:12 PM June 10, 2013 from Instagram
- #Amazing Video wall. #sfpuc @sfwater #newdigs #newjob #leed building @ San Francisco Public Utilities… http://t.co/JmEB2hDWY9 10:43:32 AM June 10, 2013 from Instagram
- I think we need a bigger bed. Even Jax is comfy... http://t.co/PGbwuyBFxj 11:56:57 PM June 09, 2013 from Instagram