Four Cheese with Bacon Mac
* 1 box (1 pound) cavatappi
* 6 slices bacon, diced
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 cups 2 percent milk
* 1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1 cup shredded colby-Jack cheese (4 ounces)
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
* 8 slices Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese (6 ounces)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Cook cavatappi 8 minutes in boiling water, then drain. Meanwhile, in medium-size saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. Carefully pour off drippings, returning 2 tablespoons to pan. Add butter.
3. Whisk in flour until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. In large bowl, toss together cheddar, colby-Jack and mozzarella.
4. Remove milk mixture from heat; whisk in American cheese and 11/4 cups of the cheddar mixture. Toss bacon pieces with remaining shredded cheese.
5. In pasta pot, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the bacon-cheese mixture. Repeat layering.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil and broil 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
* Servings Per Recipe 10 cups (12 servings)
* Total Fat (g)21,
* Saturated Fat (g)11,
* Cholesterol (mg)63,
* Sodium (mg)616,
* Carbohydrate (g)33,
* Fiber (g)2,
* Protein (g)20,
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
BTW, I ripped this off FamilyCircle.com. They make you sign up (free) for the recipe… which is LAME. So, here you go! I’ll probably post more of these as I find em…